The Home Office has now officially released updated guidance which confirms that those entering as visitors into the UK do not need a visa and will not have a UK stamp placed in their passport. However, they will have a right to remain in the UK for six months and are entitled to rent property for this period. 

Below is the list of acceptable evidence you need from visitors who wish to rent a property: 

1) A boarding pass, or an electronic boarding pass for air, rail or sea travel to the UK; 

2) An airline,rail, boat ticket,or e-ticket;

3) Any type of booking confirmation for air, rail or sea travel to the UK;

 4) Any other documentation evidence that establishes the date of arrival in the UK 

The evidence of arrival in the UK within the last six months, together with a copy of the person's passport, should be retained by the landlord or managing agent conducting the right to rent check as evidence they have acted in the proper manner. The updated guidance can be found on 

The Home Office are looking for Parliamentary approval to amend the Code of Practice to reflect the updated guidance as soon as possible. 

Please contact the Home Office directly if you are performing a Right to Rent check and/or you have any concerns or need support.  

For further information, please call the Landlord and Tenant department at Dutton Gregory Solicitors on 023 8022 134.